- builder build‧er [ˈbɪldə ǁ -ər] noun [countable]1. PROPERTY JOBS a person or company that builds or repairs buildings:
• He called in a local firm of builders.ˌcowboy ˈbuilder informal PROPERTYa house builder with no proper training or official Qualifications who does work of a low standard:
• Do-it-yourself decorators and cowboy builders are ruining Britain's historic towns.ˌcustom ˈbuilder PROPERTYsomeone who builds houses that are specially designed and built for a particular customerˌspeculative ˈbuilder PROPERTYa person or company that buys land and builds property in areas where they think people will want to buy it, but without having any definite orders before they start work:
• the building of a new housing estate by a local speculative builder2. ship/car/bridge/railway etc builder a company that makes ships, cars, bridges etc:
• Orders for 10 tankers were placed with NE ship builders.
* * *builder UK US /ˈbɪldər/ noun [C]► a person or company whose job is to build things: »
Local builders and craftsmen were hired to work on the museum's restoration project.»
a house/plane/road builder► someone or something that creates or develops something: team/community/career builder »
His communication skills made him a highly effective team builder and mentor.
Financial and business terms. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
Builder — can mean any of the following: *General contractor or Subcontractor that specializes in building work *Construction worker who specializes in building work *Builders Energy, an oil and gas services company based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.… … Wikipedia
Builder — (englisch für „Erbauer“) steht für: Builder (Entwurfsmuster), ein Entwurfsmuster in der Software Entwicklung Builder (Chemie), Inhaltsstoffe von Waschmitteln Diese Seite ist eine Begriffsklärung zur Unterscheidung mehrerer m … Deutsch Wikipedia
Builder — Build er, n. One who builds; one whose occupation is to build, as a carpenter, a shipwright, or a mason. [1913 Webster] In the practice of civil architecture, the builder comes between the architect who designs the work and the artisans who… … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
builder — index architect, contractor, developer, materialman Burton s Legal Thesaurus. William C. Burton. 2006 … Law dictionary
builder — late 13c., agent noun from BUILD (Cf. build) … Etymology dictionary
builder — [n] construction worker architect, artisan, constructor, contractor, craftsperson, erector, fabricator, framer, inventor, maker, manufacturer, mason, originator, producer; concept 348 Ant. wrecker … New thesaurus
builder — [bil′dər] n. 1. a person or animal that builds 2. a person in the business of constructing buildings 3. an ingredient added to a soap or a detergent to increase its effectiveness … English World dictionary
Builder — Buil|der [ bɪldə[r]; engl. builder = Füllstoff], der; s, : in Waschmitteln als Gerüststoffe u. Verstärker eingesetzte Stoffe, z. B. Polyphosphate oder Zeolithe u. a. Natriumaluminiumsilicate, Nitrilotriessigsäure, Polycarboxylate, Soda. * * *… … Universal-Lexikon
builder — noun ADJECTIVE ▪ good, master, reputable ▪ self employed (BrE) ▪ local ▪ We got a local builder to do the work for us. ▪ … Collocations dictionary
builder */*/ — UK [ˈbɪldə(r)] / US [ˈbɪldər] noun [countable] Word forms builder : singular builder plural builders 1) someone whose job is to repair and build houses The builders will start work tomorrow. 2) someone whose job is to build a particular type of… … English dictionary